I came back from the market laden with too much nice produce. I couldn’t bung it all in one big meal so I decided, it being brunch time, to start eating my way through the bounty in the order it would go off. Hence, spinach, top o’ the list.
This is my creation of the day:
Scrambled Eggs Florentine (serves two)
- 4 medium eggs
- a cup of washed, de-stemmed, shredded fresh spinach
- a splash of milk
- ½ tsp of cumin and turmeric
- one small onion, diced
- half a cup grated cheese, cheddar and/or feta
- saute the onion in olive oil for a few minutes, until starting to brown
- add the cumin and turmeric and stir for another minute
- add the spinach and let cook for a minute or two until wilted, stirring occasionally
- break the eggs into a bowl and add the splash of milk, mix with a fork
- add the egg mixture to the pan and stir
- when eggs are nearly cooked, add cheese
- stir until eggs are cooked and serve.
- Add fresh black pepper if desired.
I suppose it goes without saying that if you don’t stir the eggs after you add them to the pan, you’ll have an omelette. Which is fine, if you want an omelette. I have enough stress in my life without omelettes triggering my perfectionist guilt. Make the most of a situation where the path of least resistance works out just as well.
This is lovely served with granary toast or half a bagel.